Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Ask the Missionaries! They Can Help You (do grody things!)

So, one cold morning last week (the morning after Cyndi arrived, incidentally) I went to take out the garbage and recycling and discovered a dead, squashed rodent near the garage door opening. It was positioned so that I would squish it entering and leaving the garage (which is likely how it got squashed in the first place).

I couldn't leave it there until DMP got home, because that would mean that it would be totally squished into oblivion as we entered and left the garage. It had to be moved.  So, naturally, I did what any good wife would do and called DMP and insisted that he come home and take care of it.  He works in downtown Dallas and it is a long drive and he had a lot of work. He told me "I would totally come and take care of it if I wasn't so far away, but I can't."  Great. I decided I needed to put on my big girl panties and just move it myself...

So, I steeled myself, got the shovel and proceeded to try to pick it up.  Then, I squicked out and squealed and jumped around like a little girl. It was SOFT y'all! It would require SCRAPING! I took a deep breath, talked myself up like a super-bowl coach at halftime and tried again.  More squealing and loud declarations that there was no way on this good green earth that I was going to be able to do this.  Apparently my "coach speech" was much the same as the Bronco's coach at the Super Bowl...

So, plan B involved calling DMP back and declaring that there was no way I could do it.  I frantically racked my brain for a solution... Home Teachers? Nope- they were at work. Bishop? He works from home, but did I really want to bug him?  Then, Ta Da! I thought of our Elders (i.e. Missionaries for our Church assigned to our area). 

So, I called the Elders, asked them how strong their stomachs were and asked them to come rescue me.  And they totally did- they scraped up that bad boy, bagged it and threw it in the garbage for me.  Cyndi and Kate (my big sisters) totally think I'm a wuss for calling in the Elders, but c'mon! They love service and now I owe them kolaches.   Plus, it is probably a great story to write home about :)

I think it gives a whole new meaning Elder Nielson's talk "Ask the Missionaries! They Can Help You!"

1 comment:

La Yen said...

That is AWESOME. I would totally do that.