Friday, November 28, 2014

Ein Guter Kuchen- One Good Cake

This is a recipes for an awesome apple bundt cake. It was one of the snacks in the volunteer break room when i volunteered at VBS this summer. I wrote on a torn off bit of cardboard that I *must* have the recipe or die. Luckily the person brought it the next day. Whew! It appears to be from a church cookbook. The contributor says "This old German cake recipe is our family treasure." I don't know why, but that makes me happy :)

3 c. Flour (cake four is best, but AP works fine)
2 c. Sugar
3 eggs
1 c. Oil
1 tsp cinnamon
1\2 tsp baking soda
1\2 c. Hot water
1 tsp vanilla
1\2 tsp salt
3 green apples, diced
1 c. Pecans or walnuts

Mix dry ingredients first, then add the wet. Be careful not to over mix. It makes a thick, rather sticky batter. Don't worry, its normal. I stir in the apples and walnuts by hand after I've mixed the other ingredients with the mixer. Pour into a greased and floured bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees. Start checking for doneness at about 45 min. Dust with powder sugar.

The key to making this cake awesome is to keep it nice and moist and tender. You can do this by not over mixing. Also, don't over bake. The cake is done when you put in a toothpick and a few moist crumbs stick to it when you pull it back out. If you wait until it comes out clean, it is overcooked! Let it cool in the pan only about 10 min, then take it out to cool. This cake is really good the next day, too!


No comments: