Thursday, July 26, 2012

Fire House Field Trip

 During our whole preschool year, the other Mom's and I would talk about how we should arrange field trips for the kids, but we never actually did it. I happened to be near the fire station one day and popped in to see what it would take to set up a visit for 20 or so kids.  Turns out not much :)  We gathered this great-looking bunch of kids (minus some in strollers and the camera-shy) and got our very own tour of the fire station.

First they showed us their living quarters- big leather recliners for each of them in front of a giant screen TV, fancy fire man dining table and super-awesome kitchen. No wonder you see firemen as chefs on Chopped and other cooking shows. They have restaurant-quality kitchen equipment and time (mostly) and budget to cook stuff :)  We also saw where they sleep when they aren't out on a call. 
 Then they demonstrated what a "call" alarm sounds like. The firemen talked it up like it was so loud, so the kids were covering their ears in anticipation. In reality, it was more like a loud doorbell :)
Then the kids got to tour the brand-spankin' new ambulance. It was really cool for them and they asked a ton of questions.  Then it was off to check out the fire engine!
They all got to climb up and look inside and the fireman took us all around the outside and pointed out all the things on the fire engine. 
We even got to see the "jaws of life"!  I was impressed even if the kids weren't!  Our trip ended on an exciting note when they got a call and had to leave with sirens on! 
Everyone (even Bear) had a great time. I'm really glad we did it and I'd highly recommend that you do it in your city!

No comments: