Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Summer Fun List- Week 3

You and I both know I have a bunch of blogging to do about our fantastic trip to UT, but I want to catch up on the week's worth of blogging I didn't get to before we left.  So- let's jump in the time machine and go WAAAYY back to the second-to-last week in June:

Our first project was these cute little popsicle stick puzzles. There are a lot of different ways you can do these that I found online (like cutting pictures from books or photos to fit the sticks and glueing them on) but I stuck with the easiest and most fun- tape the sticks together, flip 'em over and color with markers. We invited our friends the Shills to come and do it with us and all of the kids loved it- boys, girls, little ones and big ones!
Next came our nature scavenger hunt. I found a template for a nature hunt online (and I can't find the link, drat) that had things I felt we could find in our neighborhood.  We took the opportunity to go explore the cemetary that is right accross the street to hunt in.  It was great fun until tragedy struck:
Birdy stepped on a fire ant hill. NOT FUN!
Then we made sponge bombs. These are super-fun and we take them to the pool every visit. All of the kids love them!  Instead of using fancy zip tie or fishing line (tried it- too hard to tie tightly), we found the best was some heavy-duty hair rubber bands work really well.   Also, I included this wide shot so you could get an idea of what "our" pool looks like. It is big, and the little pool in the front right is the 1 ft. deep "baby pool".
Last, the girls were THRILLED to finally, finally pull the "shaving cream slide" stick. Basically it involves spraying shaving cream on the slide and getting all shaving cream-y as you slide down very fast.  The kids (except Bear) loved it. As you can see, we invited our friends the Zielke's to come and join the fun. Seriously, how could you keep something as cool as shaving cream slide day to your self?
What better way to wash off all of that shaving cream?  BTW- Notice Griffy running bravely through the sprinklers (he also loved the slide) while Bear is nowhere to be seen? He wanted NOTHING to do with the messy slide and scary sprinkler and spent the afternoon happily playing "fountain" in the kiddie pool.

No comments: