Thursday, December 6, 2012

Get a Husband Cake

I met DMP my second year at USU when my roommate and good friend Deb and I moved into an off-campus apartment complex.  We both had just barely turned 19 and were kind of dismayed to find out that it was where all the "old guys" lived. Seriously.

Anyway, we met DMP one night when he and his roommate Shawner were out trolling for girls to have a bonfire in the Canyon.  We agreed to go along.  It was fun and our apartments became friends.

When Deb and I found out that DMP was having a birthday in December, we decided to make a cake for him. But not just any cake- chocolate wowie cake (from scratch) with cream cheese and chocolate chips- black-bottom cupcakes in cake form.  We baked and frosted and went to deliver our delicious creation.

We got to his apartment where his brother Ed told us that he wasn't home, but to bring the cake in and leave it for him.  We got to his kitchen and there were already FOUR cakes from girls. Four, people!  There was no way even all 4 dudes living in the apartment could eat 4 cakes, and ours was clearly the best, so we told Ed to let DMP know that if he wanted some of our yummy cake, he could come to our house and have some...

He came over later and declared our cake the best.  I like to tease him that since he was feeling like Mr. Hot Stuff, he decided to go after the girl who played "hard to get" (and who also can clearly make a delicious cake) instead of the other, namby-pamby cake-mix girls.

Lucky for me that he did. I didn't realize at the time what a great "catch" he is, but I'm learning more and more as the years go on. He is an amazing father and my best friend. He is my anchor and I love him lots. 

So, in honor of DMP's 38th birthday, I give you the recipe for "Get a Husband Cake" as we now call it in our house.  You can also make it in cupcake form, but that's called "Black Bottom Cupcakes" and the "get a husband" guarantee is null and void.

Get a Husband Cake

3 c. Flour
2 c. Sugar
1/2 c. Cocoa
1 t. salt
2 t. baking soda

Mix dry ingredients together. Add:

2 T. vinegar
2 t. vanilla
2/3 c. oil
2 c. cold water

Mix well and set aside.

In a separate bowl, mix:
1 8 oz package of cream cheese
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
1/3 c. sugar
abt 1 cup of chocolate chips.

Pour cake batter into your chosen pan (if making cupcakes, pour into cupcake cups).  Drop cream cheese mixture into batter by spoonfuls (or one spoonful per cupcake).  Bake at 350 for about 30 min until a toothpick comes out clean.

The cake part (minus the cream cheese mix) makes an awesome, moist dense chocolate cake that is great without frosting. It's a good one to make when you are in the mood to bake, but don't have any eggs :)

6 comments:

~j. said...

Vinegar?

Mak said...

Yup- it combines with the baking soda to make the cake rise, or be fluffy, or whatever it is cakes do. It takes the place of eggs that normally do that stuff.

CKW said...

Jenny, you have had this cake before (and you didn't even know it...;-) We found this cake recipe one sunday when we wanted to bake but didn't have any eggs. Mak, I went looking for this recipe online when my books were all boxed up and found out that this version of cake is also referred to as Depression Cake. During the Depression, this cake didn't require some of the more usual (but expensive) ingredients like eggs and butter, etc. I thought that was kind of cool.
Necessity (sp?) is the mother of delicious, delicious invention. Happy Birthday Dave!!

Nichole Vollmer said...

Thanks for the info about the cake without the cream cheese part. I have been looking for a cake or cookie recipe that would be a tasty treat and go along with my dairy-free diet. I will try this one.

Jeff Kinsel said...

Would it work on getting a wife?

K said...

I LOVE the story that goes along with this. I had never heard it before. Come on up this way sometime, y'all!