Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Resolved

I don't typically make New Year's resolutions (unless they are food-related) but this year I actually have some.

1- I resolve to do better to keep my anxiety under control. I'm hoping I can do this without the drugs. Not that I don't love the drugs - I do and I'll be the first in line to tell you they were the biggest blessing in my life when I "went crazy". They made it so I could function and think again. I'm not against taking them again, but when I found out I was pregnant with Bear, I weaned myself off of them and boy, that sucked. Plus, I think they make me lose some of my drive or motivation which I think is sort of like my super-power and I need it :).

2- I want to make more lists. I read an interview with Heidi Klum where she said she makes lists all the time. Not grocery or to-do lists, but things like lists of stuff she wants to do with her kids, things she likes/dislikes and etc. I've read about list-making as an alternate form of journaling and I think it sounds fun and like something I can do. I want to make more lists this year (beyond the weekly grocery one). To that end I asked for (and got) a small book for my purse so I can create and add to them at any time. You'll probably see more here, too.

3- OK, it would be resolution time for me if I didn't include a food-related resolution. I want a food thing. You know how Cyndi is always asked to bring her potato salad to everything? Or Uncle Walt's salsa? Or how mom makes the best Chicken Pillows? I want a thing, or more likely a couple of things. Some recipe (or recipes) that I perfect so that I have "go to" dish or that my kids will say "Mom made the best...". We try so many new recipes that we hardly make the same thing twice. I'm going to change that up a bit and pick some to perfect. Any suggestions? Anything I've made that could be a candidate for my "thing"?

4 comments:

CKW said...

Isn't your food thing bringing broccoli to birthday parties? (I know, 'bite me'..)

You are the cake lady. You always do the cool birthday cakes at the get togethers.

JM said...

Yes, cakes = MAK. Also I think of you and chicken salad sandwiches.

Kate said...

I also think of you and cakes. I mean you made my wedding cupcakes. That takes some talent. By the way, if you wanted to mail me some cupcakes I think that would be okay with me. I could do with one right now.

Bek said...

I love lists. I write them all the time in fact, I have a note book with me all the time. It helps me keep my anxiety at bay. I put the used notebooks on a shelf and it really is fun to go back and read them; menu plans, emmer party menus, grocery liste, etc. It is a fun snapshot of our day to day life. Good idea. Get a pretty notebook and keep it with you.