Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Best Banana Bread. Ever. I promise.

not my picture- I got it from the recipe on allrecipes.com...
For some reason, we frequently find ourselves with one or two extra, browning bananas at least every other week. Bear loves bananas, the girls love them some days, hate them others. I recently discovered that DMP only wants to eat them at a certain exact point of ripeness between green and starting to go brown that only he can determine. 

As we all know, the best thing to do with extra bananas that are too ripe even for the 18 month old (mostly because they get hard to pick up, not because he won't eat them!) is make banana bread.  I've been making banana bread roughly every other week since September when it got cool enough to think about turning the oven on.  I've tried a lot of recipes and I'd like to share the very best one that I've discovered. Trust me on this one- I've done my homework.

You can find the recipe here on allrecipes.com (it even has a handy "print' feature so you can print it out).  The only change I make is to switch out 1 cup of the sugar for brown sugar (so it is one cup brown, 1/3 white).  We love to make it in the 9x13 pan (which I never thought of to do with banana bread before) because it makes it easier to cut off little pieces for the baby, or snacking or whatever. It seems to last a bit longer. 

Trust me on this one. I've started to have sour cream on hand all the time just in case I have some bananas that need using up :)  My family inhales this bread within about 24 hrs every time (both loaves/whole 9x13 pan!).

3 comments:

Jeff Kinsel said...

In this blog post, MAK tells us about the newfangled "Print Function."

Mak said...

Pbbbbtttt. If you print a lot of recipes from the internets, you would understand that some sites have a handy print that allows you to print just the recipe and none of the blog commentary- usually in a recipe card format. THat's what I was talking about, punk!

janemkinsel said...

Yup, it is really , really good!