Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Crazy Hair

This morning, I came down and found Birdy standing outside the bathroom.

"Daddy, please do my hair- it's all crazy! I want a ponytail"

I offered to do it and she got two ponytails with sparkly rubber bands. However, this made me think. Birdy's hair is a lot of things- cute, curly, sweet and often crazy and out of control. We (ok, I) comment on it a lot- things like "Come here- we have to do your hair because it is all crazy!" She comments too, "My hair is crazy!" but usually it is said in an "I'm-so-silly" voice.

Perhaps it was the fact that she was begging Daddy to make her hair "not crazy" today but I'm suddenly wondering- am I giving her a complex about her hair? Is it worth paying for therapy (or lots of hair product) later because suddenly she is willing to have it "done" occasionally- something that is a source of many power struggles? What do you think?

4 comments:

Tennille said...

I figure we are going to screw our kids up somehow. Start a separate bank account for their therapy, and say whatever you want.

CKW said...

I remember when I was four or five, I took a rubber band to dad because I needed a ponytail in my hair immediately and mom wasn't around. He told me he didn't know how to do that.

I still think he was lying....

Good for you for knowing how to do even the basics of little girl hair.

older but wiser said...

Only thing that would make this post better is pix of her crazy hair. It is so awesomely crazy!

Kate said...

That's a good question. I'm sure you don't have to worry though. I'm guessing it's more that she's getting older and maybe wants to be a 'big girl' and is noticing her hair more?

Or maybe it was just bugging her, and she knew a ponytail would fix it.