After Mother's Day at church, for some crazy reason I started thinking about what I would talk about if I were asked to speak on Father's Day. I know, I know, making up imaginary talk topics is definitely crazy, but I do it sometimes after a particularly good sacrament meeting - think "What would I say if I were asked to speak about that?". (BTW- a "particularly good sacrament meeting" is one where I get to hear at least 1 talk in it's majority. Rare occurrence on our bench). 
DMP is one of the most "nurturing" men I know. I know it isn't a "manly" word or one that most guys would like someone to apply to them, but hear me out. He nurtures the girls (as most Dad's do). What I think sets DMP apart is that he is loving and concerned for other kids he comes in contact with. It is no surprise that Abby (Emmy's little sister who had a regular weekly play date) calls him "Daddy Dave". He is incredible in Nursery and has his special kids that he has worked with and coaxed along into liking Nursery and being OK with leaving their parents. It is so fun to hear him talk about each kid every week and how they are coming along or about cute things they have done. I have never known any man who is so willing to care for and about other people's kids.
Those of you who know DMP also know he is far more patient than me. This really comes out in his parenting style. He is able to "go the distance" with Birdy or EJ's tantrums (maybe that isn't patience but long-suffering?). He handles the daily challenges of being a stay-at-home parent very, very well. He also will take the time to let the girls do things on their own. For instance, EJ learned how to tie her shoes recently (Daddy taught her, of course) and she insists on doing it herself all the time. DMP is patient and lets her practice, even if it means slowing down getting out the door for something.

I also love that DMP is silly and has a strong sense of "play". He will sit and build with blocks, play at a playground or push them on swings long after I have gotten bored :) I think this quality is very valuable to him as a SAHD. There have been days where I get home and the house is messy and dinner hasn't been started and it turns out that he and the girls have been exploring and playing on the trail by the river or something. The time spent and things the girls learn are more important than having the house clean that day and I'm grateful that he can see that.
Most importantly, he is a strong priesthood holder and a good example to the girls. He never passes up an opportunity to teach them about the gospel (or anything, really). He always comes up with well-thought out family home evening lessons. Also, unlike their Mom, he never says words he isn't supposed to in front of them :)
These are just a few of the qualities and things he does as a Dad that makes me so happy that I found him and was smart enough to marry him. Our kids are super-lucky to have him as their Dad!
BTW- the blog title and the writing on DMP's father's day cake is from the awesome Cake Wrecks blog. You can read all about "Falker Satherhood" here. Oh, and isn't that day-glo orange frosting just YUMMY looking?
4 comments:
Amen! Dave is the BEST!
Three cheers for Dave. He is an incredible husband and father!
That Dave is a great dad. I agree that you landed a keeper!
He's so sweet with the girls and I know he's going to be great with 'Little Bear' as well! It'll be a nice change to have a child who's hair he won't have to braid or put in barrettes. ;)
KUDO's to you Melissa for taking time to share and brag on Dave....What a great father and husband. And to think,,,he is my baby brother :-)
Post a Comment