DMP and I headed home to my old stomping grounds this weekend to partake in all things faux- Swiss for the annual Swiss Days art/craft fair thingy. I have always loved Swiss Days and look forward to going most every year. It has been fun to see it grow over the years into a big deal.Midway is a funny place- it was settled by a bunch of Swiss immigrants and their descendents (and the town itself) tries to hang on to that heritage by making little girls wear lederhosen (a.k.a the "Swiss Miss Royalty") and by incorporating Swiss-like architecture styles:
Oh yeah, and did you know you can make anything authentically "Swiss" by just adding "Swiss" to it's name. Nope- it is totally true. Swiss Hamburger? Sure! Swiss Shaved Ice? Why not? Finally, we have my personal favorite:
Ole! Speaking of "Swiss Ole", check out the special of the day at a local Mexican eatery (Tarahumara, BTW- super, super good- check out the massive salsa bar and don't forget to order the flan):
I asked the owner what, exactly, is involved in a "Swiss Enchilada" and she said that in the Chiuahua reigion, where she is from, there is seriously such thing as a "Swiss Enchilada" so it wasn't just made up for Swiss Days. That made me feel a little better.DMP and I had a lot of fun. Grandma and Grandpa were kind enough to spoil the girls for the evening, so we had a Swiss Date (see? I told you, it works). We ate dinner and shopped all the crafty/arty booths. Funnily enough, our purchases were NOT made in Swiss Days proper, but in the surrounding shops and whatnot.
My best "find" is the beautiful, soft, hand-spun Alpaca yarn I bought for a very large amount of $$ (accountant approved). Seriously, this yarn addiction is getting worse, people! After observing my raptures over the lovely alpaca yarn and DMP patiently Oooh-ing and Ahh-ing, the woman who was selling the yarn asked if we were newlyweds. I guess only a newlywed husband would even pretend to be interested in yarn! Whatever it was, it made our day!
At the end of the evening, we stopped into a little antique shop where I found 2 old industrial wooden spools for $4 each! I've been casually shopping for some and they usually go for $15 each- score! Plus, they had a whole collection of antique beehive things and I limited myself to buying just one. I can't wait to display them!
Oh- one last thing. Apparently, my husband is running for mayor of Heber again. Can you believe it? They misspelled our name on the sign! Here is a picture of DMP pretending to steal a sign for his own personal uses (as far as you know he's pretending...):

2 comments:
Great Swiss pictures. Now show us Swiss pictures of your Swiss yarn and Swiss spools! Yeah, it does work!
Vote for Dave!
great post! It is amazing the organization that is in place. Try to find any garbage anywhere!!
Amazing that it is mostly gone by Sunday am. (including the 20,000 people.) Cheri said they had 1400 people at their Sac. meeting on Sun. Took all but 10 min just to pass the sacrament!
Post a Comment