Sunday, March 28, 2010

Fun article about "Utah Cusine"

A friend at work posted a link to this article "Jell-O Love: A Guide to Mormon Cuisine". I thought it was fun and funny enough to share:
http://www.theatlantic.com/food/archive/2010/03/jell-o-love-a-guide-to-mormon-cuisine/37929/

It highlights our peculuar regional cuisine like funeral potatoes, frog-eye salad, hawiian haystacks, fry sauce and pastrami burgers. It makes me wonder, though, if most of these foods are a dying art. I can't remember the last time I saw a molded Jello-salad (maybe in AZ?) let alone one that included anything savory like carrots, ham or whatnot. As for Hawiian Haystacks, I hadn't even heard of them until I had them with DMP's family after we got married (although ID still counts as the "Jello Belt" according to this article). I had to question my cube-mates about the frog-eye salad. Since I hate the stuff, I can't recall if it is a "just Utah" thing or not.

I do still hold my fry sauce near and dear to my heart. I wonder what else is "missing" from this list. I'd add dipping fries (or anything fried) in ranch and the deep, personal relationship many Utahn's have with Diet Coke. Judging by the number of stores around here we may need to add "Mix your own frozen yogurt" places- or frozen yogurt in general. I don't know that I've seen many of those places outside UT.

What about you? Anything you'd add to the list?

2 comments:

Bek said...

FWIW there are TONS of frozen yogurt places here. Most are Asian chains ( like Nubi and Quickly). It is a big thing in the Asian community here.

Ummmm, pink sauce.

older but wiser said...

Didn't you ever dip your french fries in your milkshake?

I don't care how famous they become but Black=bottom cupcakes are a definite family favorite!