While looking on Amazon.com for a birthday present for Abby, we came accross a butterfly kit- you know, order caterpillars, watch them make cocoons and then turn into butterflies. We decided to order one. We even got a butterfly lifecycle book on PBswap so we could teach the girls about the magic of metamorphosis.It finally got consistently warm enough that we felt it was OK to order or caterpillers (it has to be around 50 degrees most days or you'll kill your butterflies when you release them into the wild). This week they finally came!
Here they are on day 1 above- just tiny little things. I believe EJ named them Monkey, Bubble Gum, Ariel, Belle and Jasmine. In about 24 hours, they doubled in size (the brownish stuff at the bottom is their food) and they are really, really gross. We are about 4 days in and they are huge and there are "little green balls" all over their cup (caterpillar poo, EJ informed me). I was going to take a picture but I can't really stand to look at them that long. Fortunately, I'm the only one in the family that is grossed out by them- the girls still think they are awesome.
We'll keep you posted on the exciting lives of our little science experiments!
1 comment:
Sarah's preschool class did this, and her best friends across the street did too! All the kids love it. Take pix when you release them, please.
Post a Comment