A couple of days ago, this quote was the "Family Gem" quote of the day:
"Men and women joined together in marriage need to work together as a full partnership. However, a full and equal partnership between men and women does not imply the roles played by the two sexes are the same in God's grand design for His children. As the proclamation clearly states, men and women though spiritually equal, are entrusted with different but equally significant roles."
~M. Russell Ballard, "The Sacred Responsibilities of Parenthood," Ensign, Mar. 2006, 29
I have a testimony of this divine view of equality between men and women. Women and men have unique roles that each play in our families and lives. I believe that we have been blessed with gifts and talents that help us fulfill these roles. When I stop and think about it, I'm amazed at how perfect and inspired it is.
I think you can see evidence of it not only in our families, but in the organization of the church. Many non-LDS women see that organization as patriarchal and oppressive to women but I think anyone who has been in a RS or Primary Presidency would agree that women have as much leadership ability and contribute equally at all levels of organiztion of the church.
However, just as Elder Ballard says- there needs to be a full and equal partnership between men and women. I think this applies in more than just the family relationship. I think that this idea of "equality" can apply to our greater society. Women should have equal opportunities and treatment as men when it comes to education and careers. Just as it is inappropriate for men to excersize "unrighteous dominion" in their marriage, they shouldn't do the same outside of it either.
As I was trying (unsuccessfully) to find a quote about this topic that our Bishop used in his Mother's day talk I came accross this 1991 Confrence talk given by President Hinkley on this topic in general. If you are interested at all I would encourage you to read it- it is pretty short and there was too much good stuff to pull out as a quote. It is called "Daughters of God".
No comments:
Post a Comment