Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Christmas Miracle

On Tuesday night, we experienced our very own Christmas Miracle. I just had to share this special story with both of my readers!

My friend and coworker kindly invited us to his house for dinner along with my new boss who was visiting from our San Francisco office. He also kindly invited the kids to come, too. I accepted and the date was set for Tuesday. Monday came and Bear was super crabby and running a fever. I warned my coworker that he and DMP might not make it to the dinner if that continued to Tuesday.

Tuesday came and in the morning, Bear seemed to be feeling better and almost back to his normal, cheerful self. Birdy, on the other hand, was in full boundary-testing mode. As the day progressed, Bear got grumpier and grumpier. By the time I got home to get everyone cute and in the car, I had a full on crabby baby who had only slept for about an hour and a half all day TOTAL and a screeching, uncooperative girl (some of you know how she gets...). Just the act of loading her into the car prompted a full-on hissy fit.

As we were driving over to my coworkers house we kept asking ourselves- "What were we thinking?!?" and I'm starting to panic. Ours would be the only kids there. My coworker is a Grandpa, so he understands kids, but my new boss is single without kids... No one likes crabby or bratty kids at a "big kid dinner".

We got there and it was like the kids were totally transformed. Apparently Bear's 15 min. cat nap was enough to sustain him with relative contentment for the evening (as long as we didn't put him down!). Birdy was an angel. I only had to tell her not to lick the table, and other than that, she was sweet, polite and ate her food.

My coworkers wife had prepared a German-themed meal for us (just 'cause they like German food). There was a yummy cooked red cabbage dish that Birdy called "purple vegetable" and she had two helpings! In addition to eating all their food (including the second helpings of cooked cabbage, people!!) they played nicely in the "toy room" and cleaned up without complaint!

So the dinner and evening was a success! However, I kid you not- the second we pulled into our parking spot at home, Birdy was throwing a tantrum that lasted until she was finally sent to bed. Bear started fussing and crying and wouldn't sleep. We finally had to put him in bed to cry it out because nothing else worked.

After everyone was finally asleep and quiet, DMP and I sat back and marvelled at the small oasis of peaceful, happy, well-behaved kids. Truly a Christmas Miracle!

1 comment:

JM said...

That is remarkable! Glad you all had a good time.