Friday, April 8, 2011

Inspired

*** Warning- total nerdiness ahead. I just realized this post about cleaning/organizing my house is probably longer than most posts about my kids****

Cyndi was inspired by Lisa's posts about cleaning and organizing, and cleaned out her toyroom. That in turn inspired me to get going and organize my own house.


I know there are some amongst my readers who like to tease me for my organization and OCD about the cans in my pantry organized by type (veggies together, fruit together, etc.) and with all lables facing forward (you know who you are...) so it may come as a suprise that I needed to organize anything. Wow- that ended up sounding snotty :) awesome.


Here's the thing- I'm OCD about organizing but not when I'm pregnant or have a new baby. I just don't have the energy to do more than just shove things into closets and etc. with a vague idea of "I've got to do something about that." Side note: my cans are still organized by type and labels forward- like I said, I'm OCD and even pregnancy and newborn chaos can't shake that!


So we've been going through areas and rooms of our house and mercilessly getting rid of extra stuff and organizing places for what's left. I took Cyndi's advice and cleaned out stuff like we are moving (i.e. you look at something and say "Would I box this up and move it to another house?" if the answer is no, get rid of it). It worked. My kitchen is a million pounds lighter and my closet is on it's way to getting cleaner. A lot of it has to happen on weekends and etc. when DMP is around because I hadn't realized how hard organizing is with to big kids and one grabby boy but it's happening!


The best and most photogenic of all is my linen closet (picture above, and yes, those are labels on the shelves- I love my label maker as much as my kids). I found 3 tubes of toothpaste, 5-6 plug-in air freshner refill thingies and about 5 toothbrushes. We are set on those things forever now and I wouldn't have known it in the chaos!


So thanks Cyndi and Lisa for the inspiration to shake off my pregnancy/newborn mommy blahs and start working on getting the house back to the way I like it!

2 comments:

Tennille said...

Thanks!! That's the inspiration I needed to get my closets done.

CKW said...

It's a bummer that my cleaning fervor hasn't extended much beyond the toy room yet :-)