We try to teach the girls to be objective in their T.V. and advertising consumption. We feel it is more responsible than, say, elminating TV altogether. We also try to avoid channels with kid-specific marketing (like Nick- Disney and PBS are mostly ad-free). We frequently have talks about commercials and their messages and wether or not they are realistic and etc.
Most of those talks go OK and I think they get something out of it. In case you are wondering, I don't expect a 4 or 6 year old to be truly objective about marketing, but we like to have the conversation early and often so they can navigate the murky world of marketing that is all around them all the time.
However, there are two battles I've lost - Pillow Pets and Sketchers. No matter what I say, the girls really, truly believe that Sketchers will make you run faster, jump higher and kick higher. We were at DI and I was looking at shoes and saw a cute, newish pair of white "croc-like" sketcher mary janes for EJ. She was super-happy to have her own pair of Sketchers. Birdy was so bummed. Fortunately, there was a good-looking pair of sneakers that we told her were Sketchers, too. After a spin in the washing machine this girl was running faster and jumping higher than ever before :)
No comments:
Post a Comment