OK- this one of those recipes that tastes a lot better than the ingredients sound. Every time we make this everyone gobbles it up and DMP and I are suprised that it tastes so good. Plus, it is a true 30 min. meal- start to finish (not one of those "30 min. if everything is already chopped and prepped or you are a pro chef). It reheats well and the kiddos like it. Well, my kids like it- but they are used to eating "strange" food, so don't blame me if your's don't :) Seriously give this one a try- you'll be happy. Quick and Yummy Greek Pasta
2 cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes 1 can chickpeas/garbanzo beans drained and rinsed (white beans work too)
10 oz fresh spinach (or one pkg frozen, thawed and squeezed)
1 pkg penne pasta (approx 8 oz)- We actually like wheat pasta for this- it works well (no funny taste/texture) and is healthier!
1/2 onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, diced
Greek or italian seasoning (I get the "greek seasoning" that comes in the yellow shaker)
Lots of feta cheese (like a cup- but maybe you could do less- I just love my cheese)
- Cook pasta in a large pot of water until al dente. Don't rinse (trust me- they won't stick once you add the sauce and the starch helps the sauce stick). Return the drained pasta to the hot pot so it stays warmish.
- Sautee onion and garlic in about a Tbs of olive oil in a deep pan until they are soft
- Combine tomatoes and beans and add to the pan. Bring to a boil over med-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 min.
- While the tomatoes and beans are simmering, prep spinach (washing and chopping or thawing and squeezing- whatever)
- Add spinach to the sauce and cook for 2 more min. or until the spinach wilts, stirring constantly.
- Add sauce to the pasta in the pot and toss all together.
- Serve with a generous topping of feta.
Oh yeah, this is vegetarian too. I promise - it is so filling that you won't miss the meat, and it is so good, you won't care that it isn't there. This is something I'd make for meat-eaters and I bet they'd like it. Really, really.
No comments:
Post a Comment