Pintrest saved the day again. I saw a pin for "volcano eggs". Basically, you make a paste out of baking soda, food color drops and a tiny bit of water (you really want it to be a paste and not runny). Then you paint that on your eggs. After you are happy with your painting, you spoon vinegar over it. It fizzes happily and the color stays on the egg. It made for some very pretty eggs:
The girls LOVED it. Normally we can get them to color about 2 eggs each when we've done it the 'regular' way, and then they get bored- even when we let them color with crayons. This time they went through the whole 24 in no time flat. It was so fun to paint and watch them fizz. They were kind of disappointed that they couldn't paint pictures, just blobs of color, but they still had a lot of fun. I think next year we'll try crayons + volcano eggs. I bet it would work. Oh, and I tried the straight drops of color on the eggs like she suggests in the blog, and it was super-messy and I got dye all over me. I'd suggest just sticking to the paint if you are going to try it.
The finished product!




No comments:
Post a Comment