Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentines Day

Happy Valentine's Day, everybody!

I realized this year that I think I've finally made peace with this particular holiday. Through the years, I've oscillated between "Mindless consumption holiday that has no real soul." to "I'm so desperate for a date night out with my husband, I'll take any excuse" and back again.

I still think it is a mindless consumption-driven holiday with no real soul, but I've also decided that you shouldn't pass up any opportunity to tell your favorite people you love them and, yes, even share tokens of that love. Just because it happens to be a scheduled event doesn't make your expression of love somehow less (but you shouldn't wait and do it only once a year!)

I think the change and my embracing the holiday came about when I had kids old enough to understand it. To me, it isn't a holiday all about romantic love and lovers, it is about all love! So we keep it pretty family-focused. Two years ago, we had a candlelit fondue dinner. This year the girls are busy making small presents for each other, and I crocheted something for each of them. This morning, DMP left a love note and a ring pop for each of them before he went to school.

So while I still shudder at the sight of giant teddy bears holding giant hearts, or endless commercials for heart-shaped jewelry (seriously? Have you ever SEEN anyone wear a heart necklace, except on maybe Valentine's day?) I still think it is a holiday worth celebrating.

How do YOU feel about Valentine's Day?

1 comment:

Kim Webb Reid said...

I've always loved Valentines Day because it's another excuse to let chocolate see me through the rest of winter.