Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Funtastic Fall

On Day 2 of celebrating Uncle Ed's birthday, we went to "Funtastic Fall" at the American West Heritage Center in Logan. It was SO much fun. The weather was cool-ish, but it wasn't cold. We couldn't believe how much there was to do! We went in thinking we'd spend an hour or two and ended up staying 4 and we could have done more.
After a train ride (sorry, the pics were boring) we ventured into the headless horseman corn maze. Aside from being muddy, it was pretty fun. The corn blocked the cold breeze and the kids had fun for most of it.
This is typical- Daddies were navigating and the kids kept running (in spite of the repeated warning by the mommies that they'd slip in the mud...). We were REALLY glad we had a map to follow in the maze- it would have taken us FOREVER to get out without it.
David was done about 1/2 into it. See the sad maze face? In the end we completed it and all of us (except David) were dirty, but triumphant. Check out our "battle mud"!
Next was the "hay fort". It was basically a pile of those giant hay bales with loose hay all around that you could jump into. I had a lot of fun with the "sport" setting on my camera and caught these fun mid-air shots.


To all those who think that Birdy sticking her tounge out when she is concentrating came from me, observe DMP in these pics and maybe we should rethink-
This has to be the gay-est jump ever. We have a video of it too, but I'm holding that for bigger blackmail opportunities.Next, it was on to the not-so-super-slide. The kids didn't slide very fast- it was more like scooting down the hill on your bum, but they still went down a couple of times each.
The slide guy told me that there was a gourd launcher. Like DMP and his crawdads, I realized launching pumpkins from a giant slingshot was one of my long-buried wishes.
They were out of pumpkins at the top of the hill, so my sweet guy hiked all they way down to get some just for me to launch- thanks Honey! (Ed helped, too. And yes, those are buffalo in the field behind them).
That thing was harder to pull back than I thought- and it was really hard to keep the pun'kin in the leather thingy. My first attempt was a failure, but the second smashed beautifully!
The young 'ens then got to go for a pony ride.

We visited some nice and tiny goats. One tried to eat Bree's skirt.
The Jensen farm (a working historical "re-enactment" farm) had some activities for the kids- including pumpkin carving! Birdy picked a baby one:
And Daddy helped carve them up:

We had such a fun-a-licious, fun-tastic, fall time with our cousins!

5 comments:

Kate said...

You spelled 'fantastic' wrong. I just thought I'd let you know.

Also, it looks like you guys had a great time! I love the picture where T has literally got EJ by the collar, awesome. And pumpkin launching? That has to get yet another awesome.

I love that you guys do cool things like this.

JM said...

That place has such cool things year round. It's Cache Valley's best kept secret. Glad you had fun.

Jeff Kinsel said...

That is a pretty gay picture. Why the crap are you wearing flip-flops?

Mak said...

Jeff, I was asking myself that very same thing the whole time.

For the record, DMP wanted to delete those pics. How could I do that when it is such good blog fodder?

Tennille said...

What a bunch of adorably dirty kids!! Those are blackmail pics of me, and you didn't even get anything from me for them.