Guest Post by DMP
A long time ago in a third-grade classroom far, far away (on Judea's plain), I read an excerpt from a story that involved kids catching crawdads a.k.a. crayfish, crawfish, or if you're Birdy, "lobsters". I really wanted to try it, but alas there was nowhere nearby to do so.
Years passed, I grew up and the desire to fish for crawdads faded away and died - or so I thought. A few weeks ago, a group of my wife's family went fishing for crawdads. My parents were in town and we declined the invitation to go fishing. I was somewhat surprised to discover that I was genuinely disappointed. Apparently the desire, which I had believed long dead, had only been hiding in the remote depths of my subconscious waiting to be reawakened. I was like a crawdad-killing sleeper cell.
Another trip was planned, and Saturday (yesterday), Grandpa, EJ, Birdy, and I set out fulfill my long-suppressed childhood wish. (They all thought it sounded like fun too.)
The saddest part of the story is that I brought along a camera and dead battery, and have absolutely no photographic evidence of the adventure. Just try to imagine.
The girls had a great time. Another group of kids happened to be fishing for crawdads nearby. They already had a few when we arrived, and kindly showed them to EJ and Birdy. EJ and Birdy then returned the favor with the first dozen or so of our catch. They would run across the docks to their new friends and proudly announce, " We caught another," or, " We got two more!"
EJ declared herself to be "Captain Jasmine" and had to be addressed appropriately for the majority of our two hours of fishing.
On our triumphant return to Grandma and Grandpa's house, EJ saw the cooked crawdads and asked, "Why aren't they talking? Why aren't they moving anymore?" She did not appear overly concerned with the reason and seemed to enjoy the meat as did Birdy.
So, that was one fun day for Grandpa, the girls and myself, and one childhood wish fulfilled.
Verdict: I'd do it again.
Sunday, October 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Lets plan a big family camping trip up there in the late spring--fishing and all. Will keeps talking about the first trip with grandpa, saying "Remember how we caught all those crab-daddies?" Sarah remembers all the "crab-daddy hands" that we ate. Good times!
Wow- crawfish-killing sleeper cell. Priceless.
I think that sounds like so much fun. I'm jealous. Someday, maybe my wish (which is watching you catch crawfish, I didn't realize it was a wish of mine until now) will be fulfilled also.
Loved hearing your "voice" in your writing. However, you and I the crawdaddy disecters will wash I hands before eating!
Girls were so fun.
Pretty much I lol'd hugely when Dave said sleeper cell. Oh my holy wow! That was the best thing I have seen in a long long time.
Post a Comment