Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Interesting LDS article...

I'm so proud of the smart, talented people I associate with! My good friend Kim co-wrote an interesting article in Meridian Magazine:
http://www.meridianmagazine.com/familyconnections/090715power.html

It is about power within the LDS church and I think it is very interesting. The question of power often comes up as I'm discussing the church with people who are unfamiliar with it. Particularly because I consider myself to be a feminist and, to some people, that is at odds with my beliefs and membership in the LDS church.

To many people, the church seems to be very traditional and patriarchal - as one friend put it "it is run by a bunch of old white guys". However, I think this article does a great job of explaining the role of "power" (i.e. who gets to make decisions) at all levels of LDS life from church at large down through to individual families.

I especially liked the breakdown of "worldly power" and "gospel power". Here is an excerpt (they explain it way better than I could):

So what is the gospel ideal of power, and what is the world’s? Again, Joseph Smith captured the essence of Godly power in scripture: “No power or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the priesthood, only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned” (D&C 121:41). The result of exercising this kind of power is “an everlasting dominion” that exists “without compulsory means” (D&C 121:46). On the other hand, any time a person exerts influence in a forceful manner, or whenever the exercise of power is motivated by something other than love—such as a craving for control, admiration, or the accomplishment of self-oriented goals—the individual uses worldly power.

I definately recommend the article - well worth the read. Great job Kim!

2 comments:

older but wiser said...

Ditto..we have all had experiences with "unrighteous" dominion at some point in our lives. Keep writing Kim!

Kim Reid said...

thanks for the shout out, Mak. I've been on a blog vacation and am just catching up!