Friday, August 14, 2009

Oh- THIS is why I have kids...

Kids are funny- specifically my kids. Here are some recent "gems" from the girls.
*******************************************
Birdy is a scrappy little thing. Having grown up with bigger "brothers" at Babysitters house, she has learned early on to defend herself by hitting and wrestling (much to our chagrin). Lately, she's toned it down to mostly only threats of violence.

DMP was buckling her into her car seat and she did NOT want to go. She strained at the straps and kicked for a while and then said "I want to bite you!".
Last week in church, she and EJ seemed really into wrestling with each other in sacrament meeting. DMP seperated them and then, during the closing prayer, Birdy decided to try to take the opportunity to jump EJ. DMP restrained her and she said very loudly "I want to kick your butt!". Yep, in the middle of the closing prayer- geesh.

********************************************
EJ has learned about resurrection in primary and it makes her view on death very, very rosy. On a recent visit to Babysitter's house, she was telling me that the found a baby cricket on the slip 'n slide. Then she informed me that it died when they turned the water on. Then she said:

"But it's OK Mom, because there is a word that means he'll come back to life." Good to know.

**********************************************

EJ recently watched an episode of "Reading Rainbow" (yep, it's apparently still around) about slavery. She told DMP "I know my ancestors are dead, but did you know they came accross the ocean in chains! They came on big ships, and were in the dark and didn't have a lot of air to breathe!"

DMP tried to set her straight by telling her that her ancestors did come accross the ocean in big ships, but there weren't any chains. She was very confused and it led to a very interesting conversation about why some people came in chains. Try distilling slavery for a 4.5 yr old!

1 comment:

Kate said...

I read your blog out loud to Dad and Matt and there were huge laughs from both at Birdy's first story.

And poor EJ, the experience our ancestors had on a ship was not nearly as harrowing as slaves. How did she take the slavery discussion? I think you should post more details on that.

I can't wait to tell AA about how her ancestors fled China due to the revolution and the tyranny of Chairman Mao, I think I need to get a better understanding of it myself first.