
EJ has been bugging me for a while now to cut her hair off "to my shoulders". I've been sesisting because I thought it was a passing whim, but yesterday I realized she'd been asing pretty steadily for about 3 weeks so we took the plunge (or the cut, as it were).

Since here hair was so long, I figured that we should donate it as long as we were getting cut. We visited the website and talked about wigs, kids who don't have hair, and how she can help. The clincher? Her big cousin Abby donated her hair recently and she wanted to be like her. DMP and I were both suprised at how excited she was by the donation idea, and how much she understood.

She had fun at the salon- she got her hair washed in the special sink for the first time, and she loves visiting the "hair cutting girls". Before now, those hair cutting girls have only cut her bangs or trimmed her long, long hair. But not today!
This is the only picture DMP got with her and the hair- with her eyes closed. But still- that is a lot of hair! DMP said that on the way home, things kind of sunk in and she got worried about her new identity without her trademark long brown hair. It didn't last long though and she's be LOVING the attention that a new haircut is getting her!
This isn't the best picture of her new 'do- sorry. She was in a grumpy mood this morning and wouldn't really let me do it or cooperate with the picture taking. It gives you an idea anyway and I think you might be seeing this kid more on our blog :)As for how Mommy and Daddy feel about the cut? I'm OK with it- I think I prefer her hair about or just longer than shoulder length just because it has so much wave/curl like mine and there is no way I'm straighenting EJ's hair. DMP is great with it. I think he is mostly relieved to not have to do it anymore :)
7 comments:
Yup! It' just like Abby's. I love it. Some person is going to love her healthy brown hair/ Isn't it a good feeling?
Wonderful! What a great thing to do for someone else. Abigail told me she wants to grow hers out again just so she can donate it again.
Isn't it great to see your kids get excited about giving to others?
It's so short! But good for her to know what she wants and way to go in helping encourage her to donate her hair to locks of love.
Speaking of, does anyone watch 30 Rock? Because every time I hear about someone donating to Locks of Love, I think of this hilarious episode...
Ok ok ok. I have decided that I am going to grow my hair out long and donate it to locks of love, but since I am bald, I will just be growing out the sides and back. Affectionately known as a Skullet.
Jeff
Jeff, I thought bald people got to receive the locks of love wigs. Do you want Abby blonde or Lily brown?
*sniff*
I heard that everytime a little girl gets her long, beautiful hair cut short, a fairy dies. Kate probably killed whole colonies...
Jeff could use both....his top is blond and the sides brown. Locks of love!
Post a Comment