
So I can check "Go to the Gilroy Garlic Festival" off of my bucket list. Seriously. Ever since I found out that it exsited 9 years ago, I wanted to go. I LOVE garlic, so it seemed like a natural pilgrammage. When I saw that it was scheduled for the 24th of July weekend, it seemed meant to be this year!

I was such a nerd. Bek and I took the "big kids" with us (DMP kindly stayed home with the little girls- he didn't think it was worth the admission price). We were actually bummed that we had kids. It cramped our garlic eating :).

Speaking of garlic eating, here is our first Garlic festival tastes. Garlic fries. Wowza- soooo good. They are regular fries with a mixture of garlic, parm cheese, and parsley dumped on top. Heaven. Next to that is a "combo" plate with shrip scampi (I don't eat shrimp, but the sauce was awesome and garlic-y), garlic sausage sandwich, garlic mushrooms, garlic bread, and a yummy garlic stir fry. It was all good.

EJ was really excited to meet the Garlic Festival royalty. Imagine being Garlic princess. That has Dairy Princess beat for sure!

Yes, we did have the Garlic Ice Cream (vanilla flavored, but I was tempted to go for the garlic/chocolate combo). It was actually good- just cold, creamy and garlic-y.

As you can see in my face in the picture below, the deep-fried garlic was a disappointment killing my idea that ANYTHING tastes good deep-fried. They used elephant garlic, so they were huge pieces. Because of the frying, the texture ended up between raw and roasted, so it was kind of mealy. Not good. If they used small cloves and partially roasted it beforehand, it would be amazing!

One of the tastiest things we had was the garlic kettle corn (all though I don't know if garlic kettle corn qualifies as "Olde Tyme"...). If you like kettle corn, the addition of potent garlic just makes it that much better!

In all the festival was a lot of fun. There were booths selling art, jewlery and all the usual stuff, and tons and tons of garlic food. As we were walking in we saw that Target had a booth that was giving out mouthwash samples. I thought "That's a strange choice". Then we were leaving and I thought "OHHHHHH". But why would you want to get rid of that good garlic breath?

We got some free Home Depot building kits for the kids and the Dad's helped them put them together when we got back to Bek's. Cubby built a boat, EJ made a bird house and Lu made a shelf for her jewlery.

I also got to visit food mecca- Trader Joes. I hope the powers that be decide that we need one here. I love it so, so, so much- good, healthy food for cheap! DMP made his famous burgers for dinner and we enjoyed our last night with the CA cousins.

Birdy was so into "Little Tiny Gracie" and loved to coo at her, give her toys and whatnot. She asked if she could hold her, and it was the first and only time I've seen Gracie upset (if you can tell from the pic below). I guess Birdy's loves were too much!
1 comment:
MMMmmmmm. Garlic.
Sounds like such a fun trip. Glad you all enjoyed it!
Post a Comment